[NAFEX] Organic or Sensible

dmnorton at royaloakfarmorchard.com dmnorton at royaloakfarmorchard.com
Sun Apr 20 16:45:38 EDT 2008

"It is important to address the common misperception that organic farming is "pesticide-free." Organic farmers are allowed to use a number of toxic chemical pesticides, and many organic crops are routinely sprayed with pesticides. The fundamental difference between organic and synthetic pesticides is not their toxicity, but their origin-whether they are extracted from natural plants, insects, or mineral ores or are chemically synthesized. In fact, some organic pesticides have mammalian toxicities that are far higher than many synthetic pesticides."  Alex A. Avery, Center for Global Food Issues

To read the remainder of his article got to http://s28003.gridserver.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/12/natures_toxic_tools.pdf.  Quite frankly, I believe that the PROPER use of IPM is the best approach to growing because almost all pesticides used in IPM are monitored by the EPA whereas many "organic" pesticides are not monitored at all so the effect they have on our environment is not totally known!

Dennis Norton
Royal Oak Farm Orchard
http://www.royaloakfarmorchard.com
http://www.revivalhymn.com