[NAFEX] Organic vs Senisble

Karen Tillou arboretum at homeorchardsociety.org
Fri Apr 18 02:17:28 EDT 2008

i agree: explaining ipm to the average consumer who knows nothing
about growing food, much less fruit, is a hard slog.  the concept
behind it though is fairly straight forward though: concessions,
common sense, and compromise.  we all daily make decisions that
compromise our beliefs, what ever those may be.  as someone who
believes in organics and happens to live somewhere where it is
possible to grow fruit organically, to spray imidan or not is a
decision i don't have to face.  but i have a great deal of respect for
folks like alan, ginda, dennis and donna, minimizing their need to
spray because they are also integrating organic and holistic methods
of soil and fertility management, cultural practices, varietal
selections, etc, into their fruit growing decision making.  i think
the ways that more and more growers are turning to ipm techniques that
then naturally lead them to organic methods (with or without applying
those emotionally charged labels or certifications) is inspiring,
especially in the bug and disease beleaguered eastern growing climate.
kudos,
karen
ps, when do we get those promised 72 virgins?