[NAFEX] Organic vs Standard Spray Programs

Road's End Farm organic87 at frontiernet.net
Mon Apr 14 21:24:12 EDT 2008

On Apr 14, 2008, at 5:47 PM, Mark & Helen Angermayer wrote:

>   I think organic fits much better with backyard orchardists, or small
> growers who market their own product.  Small growers, particularly
> those
> with supplemental off-farm income can afford to experiment and may
> have less
> pest pressure.  The situation is different for someone trying to make a
> living full-time farming.

I think there's some truth in saying that organic fits better with
small growers, partly in that some of the techniques may be more labor
intensive, and partly in that organic works best with diversified
cropping: growers who have large acreages of only one species have a
disadvantage both in increased numbers of species-specific pests and in
difficulty encouraging diverse populations of beneficials. Large
growers can of course plant a large number of small blocks,
interspersing different crops, or even mix the crops in one field; but
this makes it difficult to use large-scale equipment, which of course
poses a much bigger problem for the large grower than for the small
grower.

However, there are people making a living full-time farming who are
farming organically. It's not going to work for every operation; but it
can be done. Many such growers are, indeed, using direct-market
techniques for at least part of their sales.

There are, of course, some very large "organic" operations selling to
grocery chains all across the country; Cal-Organic and the like. I
expect they do meet USDA standards.

>  is the consumer willing to accept a less flavorful
> apple?  Maybe some will, but I suspect most won't.

Considering that the competition in the grocery store is mostly from
entirely insipid strains of Red and Golden Delicious, and considering
the flavor or rather lack of it of most fruit in most grocery stores, I
think "the consumer" is entirely willing to accept tasteless fruit. The
challenge is in getting most people to find out what good fruit tastes
like.

I have had some very flavorful organic apples -- I'm sorry, I'm bad at
names on anything I don't grow myself, and can't recall what they were.

>  in farming one can always find someone doing something different, and
> claiming it works.  The key is making it work in your climate and
> circumstances.

That is certainly true.

> Marketing the pigs would be an obstacle in many areas.

If there are any small slaughterhouses in your area that will take one
or a few animals at a time (there are several around here), your best
bet would be to sell direct to the consumer. There is certainly a
market for small-scale raised meats in many parts of the country.
Legalities of this differ from state to state; in New York what's often
done is to, technically, sell the live animal to one or more people
(who will each wind up with a side or a quarter); the farm then does
the new owners the favor of delivering the animal to the
slaughterhouse. There are also ways to sell individual cuts legally,
though I think this is more complicated.

Try to find out in advance whether your customers are likely to want
fat hogs or lean ones. This is apparently affected strongly by breed
selection as well as by feed (at any rate judging by what I've been
told and what I've wound up with in my own freezer; as far as livestock
goes, I'm on the consumer end).

--Rivka
Finger Lakes NY; zone 5 mostly