[NAFEX] Genetics of sweet kernel Apricots

Robert Bruns r.fred.bruns at gmail.com
Fri Apr 11 12:30:46 EDT 2008

The sweet-kerneled varieties probably have a defective version of the enzyme
that makes cyanide.  If that's true, the F1 cross would contain cyanide,
because you would only need one copy of the cyanide-making enzyme.
One-fourth of the F2 generation would have two defective copies of the
cyanide enzyme and therefore would be edible.

As an aside, squirrels love to eat the kernels of my Hungarian Rose
apricots.  They gnaw through the flesh, spitting it on the ground, then open
the pit and eat the kernel.  I can have 200 apricots on my tree and I'll be
lucky to get 50 that haven't been vandalized by the squirrels.  I'm not sure
if the kernels are edible or if the squirrels are resistant to cyanide.

Fred