[NAFEX] help with peach problem identification

dmnorton at royaloakfarmorchard.com dmnorton at royaloakfarmorchard.com
Tue Apr 8 15:15:37 EDT 2008

You can also get some double stick tape (white carpet tape works good) and wrap the area around the twig to capture crawlers to help identify scale.  It's not a bad idea to do that anyway for simple scouting purposes in both peach and apple.  Crawlers usually start appearing  right after pink through petal fall on apples and after petal fall on peaches.  Your oil spray should take care of them.

You can download the Pest Phenology calendars at http://extension.usu.edu/htm/publications/by=category/category=66 for apples, peaches and apricots, pears and cherries.  They show each stage of the tree at the top with the various major pests/diseases down the left with their life cycles in the chart.  For those who have a difficult remember ing the tree phenology as well as pest life cycles, the calendar is a great tool.

Dennis Norton
Royal Oak Farm Orchard
http://www.royaloakfarmorchard.com
http://www.revivalhymn.com