[NAFEX] chemical pest control

Alan Haigh alandhaigh at gmail.com
Sun Apr 6 07:20:18 EDT 2008

I would never use malathion for curculio unless I was closely monitoring for
the pest and very confident of my timing.  I think I'd rather use even
Surround, on the basis of efficacy alone, just because it provides twice the
duration of protection although that protection is not complete.  For those
unwilling or unable to use phosmet (Imidan), I'd recommend Sevin as would
the commercial consultants that I'm aware of.

Some states do not allow Avaunt for non--commercial applications but it is
very affective against curc.  Unfortunately it doesn't control a slew of
other pests that Imidan and Sevin do.

The question of the safety of using organophosphates is a little complicated
but the government is phasing them out, whatever you want to read into
that.  Personally, I don't think that a hobbyist doing very little spraying
is at any great risk if they limit their exposure as much as possible.  I
don't look forward to a world where I can no longer purchase Imidan for use
in my very low-spray program.  It will be very difficult for me to protect
the scores of small orchards for which I'm now responsible.