[NAFEX] Fwd: Creating Homes for Wild Bees

William C. Garthright billg at inebraska.com
Fri Apr 4 22:03:29 EDT 2008

> Scientists already know that female blue orchard bees (Osmia lignaria)
> and certain other wild bees prefer to nest in cavities that other
> females of their species once occupied. That's problematical because
> old nests may be contaminated with disease-causing spores.

Huh! I wondered why my bees re-used the old, cruddy holes they'd just
crawled out of last spring, instead of the nice, new ones I'd provided
for them. Well, they did that a couple of times, anyway.

Very interesting. Thanks for posting that, Lon.

Bill
Lincoln, NE

--
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary
safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin