[NAFEX] Is anyone else growing dragon fruit?

h black hblack1925 at fastmail.fm
Sun Sep 30 22:00:12 EDT 2007

I'm pretty sure I have a Hylocereus but I got it primarily for the blooms.
It is spectacularly beautiful.  I get fruits, which are red and about the
size of a medium plum if I hang the plants outside where they can be
pollinated.  I grow them in hanging baskets and have had maybe 4 fruits per
plant.  I expect mine, being selected as ornamentals, are not the finest
fruit.  I found them a bit like prickly pears, kind of insipid.  I do keep
them pruned - they seem to bloom best if kept dry over winter (from Jan thru
March or longer)
Hector Black, zone 6 middle TN.    They're outside all summer in baskets.