[NAFEX] apple tree with interesting trait

tanis cuff tanistanis at hotmail.com
Sat Sep 29 09:19:38 EDT 2007

Well maybe it's an "apple-crab" and that's what made the difference:

I was just complaining to someone that all the apples fell off my trees
after the record-breaking rains in August.  If the flooding in s.WI didn't
make national news, it should have.  I'm hi-dry on light soil, and I still
lost crops-- most of my September-ripening apples!  (I shouldn't complain
because I'm amazed they held thru the July drought, and only one October
variety lost its crop.)  Except for one tree, a seedling of 'Beautiful
Arcade'.

This tree usually has some 1 1/4" to 1 1/2" red sweet-tart little apples
ripening late Sept.  Flesh texture & flavor is more like apple, core & seeds
more like a crab. Leaves don't show much disease, but fruits tend to get
plenty insect damage.  If I had to discard half my trees, I'd probably have
dumped this one-- before this summer.  This year it is the difference no
Sept apples and something worthwhile.

If this sounds like something which should be tried in other locations by
more growers, let me know!  I won't have much scionwood for 08, maybe
budwood.  Probably more scionwood for 09.