[NAFEX] seruice fruit

Lee Reich garden at leereich.com
Thu Sep 20 16:46:40 EDT 2007

It's "service" fruit, which is a name applied to some species of
Sorbus.  Fruits of the Service Tree (S. domestica, Zone 6) and the
Wild Service Tree (S. torminalis, Zone 6) are edible after they have
been bletted, or allowed to soften in a cool room, much like medlars
(Mespilus germanica). The Romans enjoyed the brownish, pear shaped
fruit, an inch or so long, of the Service Tree, a tree very similar
in appearance to the European Mountain Ash. The Wild Service Tree is
also known as the Chequer Tree, perhaps because it frequently grows
near Chequers inns common in East Sussex. Or perhaps the inns got
their names from the nearby trees. At any rate, the fruits, russet
red and the size of smallish cherries were once made into drinks
served at these inns, as well as offered in markets in Kent and other
parts of northern Europe. With sycamore-like leaves, this large tree
would hardly be mistaken for a Sorbus.

Lee Reich, PhD
garden at leereich.com

Books by Lee Reich: