[NAFEX] grape juicing/Concord hardiness

road's end farm organic101 at linkny.com
Mon Sep 17 10:11:49 EDT 2007

On Sep 17, 2007, at 1:42 AM, Doug Woodard wrote:

> I would not expect Concord to suit zone 5 (quality seems to be
> sensitive
> to season and growing conditions even here in the Niagara Peninsula -
> 7a?),

Concord has been one of the major grapes grown in the Finger Lakes (NY)
since the late 1800's; and is considered one of the hardiest grapes
usually grown here. Although some of the newer maps show this as zone
6, the pre-climate-change maps showed this as zone 5.

Grapes in this area (Concord and others) are grown near the lakes
themselves; up in the hills far away from the lakes is considered too
cold. So there is certainly some microclimate effect. But some areas up
in the hills are, or used to be, zone 4. I have known Concords to bear
quite well after winter temperatures well into the zone 5 range
(negative teens F) in the specific area of the vineyard.

Does Canada use the same zone designations as the US? Maybe that's the
complication. I thought zone 7 started somewhere down around Virginia.
-- I see that newer maps show some zone 7 in Pennsylvania. But Concord
has been grown here since long before the warming.

--Rivka
Finger Lakes NY; zone 5 mostly, late 1900's  -- maybe now it's 6