[NAFEX] Off-topic - Yew pruning

William C. Garthright billg at inebraska.com
Fri Sep 14 10:30:14 EDT 2007

This is off-topic (hmm,... unless yew berries are edible?), but I
figured this group would know the answer.

I've been cutting back some old, tall yew bushes the last couple of
years. Since I was cutting down to bare stems, I cut 1/3 of them in the
spring of 2006 and another 1/3 (or a bit more) this spring. I was going
to cut off the remainder next spring, but I wonder if I could do it this
fall, instead?

Any problems with that? The bare stems have sprouted out pretty well,
especially those that I cut a year and a half ago. But they don't sprout
out very quickly - these are very old, very thick trunks - so I don't
think I'd have to worry about new growth before winter. Any other
problems with doing it now?

And if I can cut them off this fall, should I do it now, or wait a
month, or what? Any recommendations? I really don't think I can kill
these things if I tried, but I'd just as soon do it right.

Thanks much,

Bill
Lincoln, NE (zone 5)

--
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for enough good men to
do nothing. - Edmund Burke