[NAFEX] Unusual raspberries

John S swim_at_svc at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 13 18:04:50 EDT 2007

About 20 years ago or earlier, I came across some unusually colored and flavored raspberries in a local market.  These berries were clearly raspberries, but were colored about halfway between a yellow berry and the black raspberry (to give you an idea).  These dark amber berries were clearly not similar to any of the yellows that available now and had an excellent flavor.  I attempted to track down the source and varieity at the time, as I recognized them to be unusual, but was unsuccessful.

  Around the same time, I discovered a reasonably sized, but small, patch of wild raspberries that were white/albino.  I transplanted one of the smaller plants to our yard and this plant continued produce white berries until the plants died out about 15 years ago due to neglect.

  Does anyone know if white/albino berries are currently under cultivation or repository at this time?  Does anybody know of or the varietal name of the dark amber berries from a few decades back?  Are then any other unusual raspberries out there that are known?

  John