[NAFEX] Figs - Oiling - It Works!

John Barbowski jbarbowski at gmail.com
Wed Sep 5 17:48:15 EDT 2007

Hello All,

In spite of a hot dry sunny summer, only 4 of my Turkish Brown Figs ripened
to their normal potential. Two weeks ago, I got impatient and oiled* about
30 of the larger ones. The figs commenced to gradually turn colour and
ripened. I was disappointed with the taste and the size; the figs were
neither as big nor as sweet as those that matured naturally. They were still
a nice treat! Does anyone know of another process to coax the natural
ripening? (They did get at least 4 litres of water daily and 20-20-20 once
per month)

I also tried the peanut butter x plaster paris treats for my local tree
rats. To my surprise and within 5 minutes, a feral cat made short work of
two of my strategically placed bon-bons. The cat survived. I have since seen
the feline prancing on branches looking for addition sources. I assume the
cat was too large to be affected by the concoction. I would also imagine
that raccoons would fall into the same dis-affected category - they get
about half of my placings. (I am tempted to make snowballs for them!)

As for the tree rats, I assume there has been a decrease; I have'nt noticed
as many. (Does any one unequivocally know if the process works?)

jmb

* Oiling - with a Q-Tip, spread extra virgin olive oil on the tip of the
small green fig (I don't know if the 'extra virgin' matters)