[NAFEX] Canning recipes for astringent type persimmons

athagan at atlantic.net athagan at atlantic.net
Sun Sep 2 22:29:29 EDT 2007

I have an unknown variety of astringent persimmon that came with the
place when we bought it.  This is one of its heavy bearing years and
they are just starting to ripen.  Does anyone have a recipe for making
jam or persimmon butter using fully-ripened astringent persimmons?
The year before last I tried making a batch of persimmon butter only
to discover that prolonged cooking turns the ripened fruit astringent
again.  That last taste was a rude shock!

The pulp freezes well for use in pancakes, muffins, and so on, but I'd
really like to be able to make something cannnable as this year I have
very limited freezer space and it looks like I've got a good crop
coming on.

Any ideas?

.....Alan.