[NAFEX] Peach rootstock

Douglas Woodard dwoodard at becon.org
Wed Nov 28 19:26:14 EST 2007

John Bunker, about 25-30 years ago when I was living near the eastern
end of Lake Ontario, I got a small batch of Reliance peach on Prunus
americana rootstock. They were feeble, the leaves were more red than
green, and they soon died. Reports I have read state that peach is not
compatible long term on Prunus americana. Possibly in ideal soil with
ideal care they might last a few years and crop (one I sold to friends
in Kingston gave them one crop which they liked and then died) but this
is not something for a nursery with a reputation to maintain. I was on
Lansdowne clay, which is why I tried them.

A few years back when I was in closer touch with the industry, Bailey
seedlings were the favoured rootstock for peach in Ontario. I think
Bailey = Indian Cling; at any rate it is an old Indian peach from the
U.S. midwest. There had been some work with Siberian C for Kent and
Essex counties near Windsor-Detroit, and Niagara Peninsula above the
escarpment, but Chui Lum Tao seedlings were regarded as more promising
for these areas in initial trials.

Ragarding plum rootstocks in order of decreasing cold hardiness,
Pershore Yellow Egg (hardy to zone 4), St. Julien A (zone 5) and
Brompton (5b/6a) are considered compatible with peach and apricot. The
late Dr. Gus Tehrani of Vineland Station told me that in his work
Pershore Yellow Egg roots tended to grow more on one side than the other
and trees on this stock were not windfirm enough for Ontario.

If you want to experiment you might try Krikon Damson, which I think
originated in Russia though I'm not sure. Vineland used to have some
virus-free material which they had obtained from a U.S. station. It is a
notch more cold-hardy than Stanley or Mount Royal, according to
Minnesota tests published around 1950.

If you can produce Mount Royal vegetatively it might be good for a
rootstock for European plums in cold areas, and might be worth trying
for peach as a long shot. Mount Royal is slightly dwarfish and is said
to be disease resistant. It survived for lengthy periods at Morden,
Manitoba but was killed by test winters.

Prunus tenella or its hybrids might be interesting if you are curious
and have plenty of time and land. Muckle plum (ornamental) from Manitoba
was originally though to be a bybrid of P. tenella and P. nigra but I
understand is now thought to be P. nigra.

Doug Woodard
St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada