[NAFEX] Cornus Kousa revisit

Diane Whitehead voltaire at islandnet.com
Mon Nov 26 23:47:43 EST 2007

The evergreen one is probably Cornus capitata.  I haven't tried eating
its fruit.  Cornucopia says is sweetish mingled with a slight bitter
taste and is eaten or made into preserves in India.

I was surprised to see the differences in about a dozen Cornus kousa
at our nearest rec centre.  The flowers were all different sizes and
shapes, and the fruits vary too. The flowers and fruits were all
smaller than those on my 40 year old tree.  I think there might have
been a big gap when the trees were not readily available locally, and
it seems that seedlings are being sold now.  I haven't sampled any of
the rec centre's fruit - maybe I should.

Cornucopia doesn't mention the taste of Big Apple's fruit, but says
Milky Way has "somewhat the flavor of papaya".  So there is something
to aim for.

I wonder about crosses with mas?  Has anybody tried?

Diane Whitehead
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
maritime zone 8, cool Mediterranean climate
mild rainy winters, mild dry summers