[NAFEX] looking for Mericourt and other pears

Douglas Woodard dwoodard at becon.org
Thu Nov 22 13:17:26 EST 2007

Donna, I srongly suggest that you test all the Harrow pears that you can
get. They were bred for fireblight resistance and commercial quality.
If HW 605 exists in any U.S. collection you might try to get it. It was
not named and distribution ceased because a high percentage of the crop
dropped prematurely, but it was reported to be an really excellent
winter keeper as well as of high quality. In a homestead situation
possibly the drops could be used by livestock.

Doug Woodard
St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada