[NAFEX] winter and trees in pots, Amanda's experience

Alan Haigh alandhaigh at gmail.com
Sun Nov 18 08:37:02 EST 2007

I wrote an article I recently submitted to Pomona titled True Lies in
Horticulture Fruit Growers Should Know About which is about how actual
experience in garden and orchard often contradicts the carefully obtained
results of horticultural research.  Of course research is always based on a
much narrower range of variables than what exists in the outside world-
nowhere is this more true than in horticulture.

Now that you've tested the pots for escape roots I wonder if there are other
protective factors at work here such as the ability of that lava rock to
store heat and transmit it to the pots?  Are your cold periods of very short
duration where day temperatures quickly moderate the extremes of the night
so the cold doesn't have time to penetrate the barrels?

Where we get our worst winter damage from extreme weather is after either
sudden changes in late winter when trees are just becomming active or after
long periods of very cold weather with insufficient snow cover to insulate
the ground.  Two or three consecutive very cold nights sandwiched between
very cold days can do much more damage than a single extremely cold night.