[NAFEX] wood chips

Mark & Helen Angermayer hangermayer at isp.com
Thu Nov 15 12:32:32 EST 2007

Jerry,

I've been mulching heavy for about a year now.  Been using leaves, grass clips, and wood.  I'm amazed how much water a good layer of mulch will conserve.  In fact, it caused me to overwater some trees this summer.  Most places recommend about an inch of water per week in summer weather, but with mulch an inch per month is probably more like it.  Also had a little problem with mulch holding too much moisture next to the trunk and cause some damage.  Some have problems with rodents nesting in the mulch.  Haven't seen it yet, but we have a rat terrier that roams the yard.  Might also mention fresh grass clippings next to the trunk are bad, at least on young trees.  Either because of the nit. or because of heat (don't know which) it causes a lot of trunk damage.

Mark
KS