[NAFEX] Fire blight on dwarf apple espalier and pomegranate pruning

athagan at atlantic.net athagan at atlantic.net
Thu May 31 10:30:31 EDT 2007

Quoting Hilborn.E at epamail.epa.gov:

> My "Favorite" pomegranate was killed to the ground from the freeze
> and now I have numerous shoots emerging.
> Can anyone recommend how to form this new opportunity.  Should I
> select one strong shoot, or leave it as a cluster of three or so?
> I have a relatively small space to which I will confine the plant-
> about 5 feet diameter, 10 feet tall.

Mine got zapped in much the same way, but in an earlier freeze on
February 22nd.  We'd had three weeks of warm weather in January so
the variety Wonderful pomegranate in my driveway bed had pretty well
leafed out when we went to 22 degs F that night.  Looks like it
killed about four fifths of the tree leaving just one good stem
alive.  I've been trying to decide whether to prune it all back to
that stem and see how much it grows out or just root it out and plant
a new one.

It's been a hard luck tree.  Last year it bore five fruit only to have
the squirrels eat all five when they were still grass green.  In 2004
hurricanes Frances and Jeanne tried to blow it out of the ground.  I
had to go out in the storm to drive a stake to tie it to or they
probably would have.

.....Alan.