[NAFEX] Phalsa seed.

Dr. Chiranjit Parmar parmarch_mnd at dataone.in
Thu May 31 08:12:05 EDT 2007

Dear Nafexers,

I have collected some seed of phalsa - Grewia asiatica.  If any member is interested in trying this Indian fruit, he may write me for a small seed packet.

Phalsa is a native of India.  It bears small seedy fruits which are fondly eaten.  A beverage is also made from phalsa juice in India which is very refreshing during summer months.  Phalsa is propagated by seed.  The seedlings start bearing from second year.  It is a very hardy plant.  It does not require any care except that the plants have to be headed back at 30 inches every year.

Phalsa is an ideal fruit for home gardens.

Detailed information on phalsa may be had at this link, http://www.hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/proceedings1999/v4-348.html

A picture of phalsa fruits is also being attached.

Dr. Chiranjit Parmar
Horticultural Consultant on Lesser Known Indian Plants
www.lesserknownindianplants.com