[NAFEX] Gooseberry care

Brungardt, Sam Sam.Brungardt at state.mn.us
Tue May 29 15:25:57 EDT 2007

Bill, if you want the berries on the Hinnonmaki Red to size up before
they ripen, you probably should remove every other one.

One nice way to use these unripe berries without having to go to all the
work of making pie is to cook them with a little water and some sugar
until the skins of the berries burst and the berries turn into a mush.
Refrigerate this and then for a dessert, make some sweetened whipped
cream and fold some of the gooseberry puree into the whipped cream.
Voila, you've just made Gooseberry Fool, a traditional English dessert.
Google for a recipe if you want exact measurements.

About the pruning: you can do it either way as you already surmised.  If
you're getting lots of vigorous growth, then you may want to prune out
the branches that are on or near the ground now.  Otherwise, take them
out next spring.  -- Sam Brungardt, St. Paul, Minn. (USDA hardiness zone
4b)