[NAFEX] Bagging Apples

Jim Cooper JCooper at lewiston.k12.id.us
Fri May 25 13:49:54 EDT 2007

We just started bagging yesterday. We have some apples > 1" yet most are 3/4 + . We just use the least expensive zip lock sandwich bag and trim the bottom corners for drainage. We have done this for several years and are very successful keeping the bugs out. There is one variety Gold Blush, that has more fungal issues with the bags but still not bad. The bugs would have bothered more fruit.

We bagged about 500 apples and will do about 800 more and a few people spend 2 afternoons doing this. Most have been previously thinned.

I have not had increase in drops from the bags. I did an early spray for the Jonathan, because it has lots of powdery mildew I sprayed a combination spray with Captain and Carbyl. Well we will not have too many apples on that tree because I caused it to thin with the Carbyl. Oh well the few remaining will be nice ones!

Jim
N. Idaho
Zone 6-7