[NAFEX] abandoned orchard / old apples question

Amanda amanda at wa-geek.net
Fri May 25 12:23:01 EDT 2007

Since Google updated the images in Google Earth for my neck of the
woods, I noticed what appears to be an abandoned orchard on a homestead
in the middle of federal land (coordinates are 48°27'47.96"N,
117°41'51.52"W).

The orchard hasn't been touched since the homestead was taken over in
the mid-1930s by FDR's Resettlement Administration.

Before I hike the mile or so into the woods to see what is actually
there, does anyone have an idea as to what varieties of apples would
have been grown in the early 20th century in Washington State?

--
Amanda Emily
Colville, WA (z/5b)