[NAFEX] edible Lonicera species

William C. Garthright billg at inebraska.com
Mon May 21 21:47:22 EDT 2007

> If you like blueberries so much, I can advise you to try lonicera fruit from edible species, there the blueberry taste is developed to perfection.

I thought about that, but I've had recommendations against them, too.
The biggest problem I've heard is that they'll break dormancy in
fluctuating winter temperatures. Someone (my notes don't mention who)
said "I was told by Edible Landscaping that the plant likes well defined
seasons. As soon as there is a hint of warm weather the plant will break
dormancy."The weather here in the plains fluctuates dramatically, and we
often have periods of surprisingly warm weather in winter.

I've also seen postings that they're "extremely susceptible to leaf
diseases in the Midwest." And, well, some people say their fruit
production is scanty, and that the taste is just OK.

Still, I'd probably give them a try if it wasn't for the breaking
dormancy problem. I like the fact that they produce fruit so early in
the season.

Bill
Lincoln, NE (zone 5)

--
Science is the great antidote to the poison of enthusiasm and
superstition. - Adam Smith