[NAFEX] Northline Serviceberry (Chex)

Stephen Sadler Docshiva at Docshiva.org
Mon May 21 13:43:52 EDT 2007

We get them wild once in a blue moon at our Sierra Nevada cabin, up at 7500
feet.  The rarity and freshness makes them a real treat.  The blueberry
comparison seems more accurate in their use: they're great in muffins and
pancakes.  You'd have to add acid if substituting for blueberries in most
other applications.  Up there, if the season is long enough for
serviceberries, there will also be wild Sierra gooseberries (look like small
currants).  I use them together, so no worries about any lack of tartness.
But down here in the valley, I much prefer blueberries.

~ Stephen

-----Original Message-----
From: nafex-bounces at lists.ibiblio.org
[mailto:nafex-bounces at lists.ibiblio.org] On Behalf Of Ginda Fisher
Sent: Monday, May 21, 2007 10:13 AM
To: North American Fruit Explorers
Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Northline Serviceberry (Chex)

I agree.  They look a lot like blueberries, and they have similar
sweetness, and both are mild-flavored fruits.  But other than that they
taste different.

I find serviceberries softer and drier and a little less acid than
blueberries.  They're nice, but I prefer blueberries.  I've only eaten wild
service berries, never cultivated ones.
___
Ginda