[NAFEX] pecan problem

Lucky.Pittman at murraystate.edu Lucky.Pittman at murraystate.edu
Sun May 20 09:02:50 EDT 2007

Hans recommended Ernie Grimo and John Gordon's nurseries as good sources of grafted pecan - and they are good;
but...I don't know that I'd recommend any of the northern pecan varieties that they're growing for someone in in
the TyTy area (south GA).  Folks who can grow Southern pecans and have them fill adequately will probably not be
impressed with the small to tiny nuts those of us in more northerly climes must settle for - though many of the
northern/midwestern varieties I've had occasion to sample have better flavor/higher oil content than the old
Stuart and Mahan varieties I grew up eating as a kid in LA(Lower Alabama).

The original poster in this thread(sorry, I've already deleted it, so I don't recall who started it.) would do
well to look at this extension bulletin on varieties recommended for home and low-input pecan plantings:
http://www.aces.edu/timelyinfo/Horticulture/2002/January/RecHomeLow.pdf

Potential suppliers of good scab-resistant pecans for folks in the eastern portion of the Southern pecan belt:
Underwood Pecan Nursery, Foley, AL; (334) 943-8056
Dellwood Pecan Tree Nursery, Foley, AL; (334) 943-8693
Clint Mayo, Grand Bay, AL (334) 865-4126

Lucky