[NAFEX] Pawpaw shading question

Jwlehman at aol.com Jwlehman at aol.com
Sun May 13 11:22:28 EDT 2007

Dear Mark,

I've started several hundred pawpaws from seed. I've tried many things, and
shade the first year is important. I've found that a two foot shade such as a
tree tube works very well. If it grows out the top the first year it will
survive. Generally, I'd say all that grow at least 12" the first year can have the
shelter removed at the start of the second growing year.

I've also planted a few w/o first year shelter and many survived, but I kept
them watered well the first year. Don't augment the soil the with anything
that dries the soil out faster such as acid mulch, or even regular mulch. I'd
suggest if you want to use acid mulch, top add it the second year. My experience
is keeping the soil damp the first year is vital.

I've planted many one year pawpaw seedlings with good root systems w/o shade
with very good success.

Jerry