[NAFEX] Pawpaw shading question

nottke1 nottke1 at earthlink.net
Sat May 12 20:53:26 EDT 2007

Mark,

Your pawpaw looks perfectly normal and happy.  The growing tips of pawpaws always look a bit wilted compared to pome and prunus fruit trees, but I have never seen them look any other way.  As the tree grows, some pawpaws have leaves that hang straight down and grow to 14 inches long, others have leaves that are held more horizontal and grow to only 8 inches.

I have generally used old metal venetian blind slats nailed across a rectangular frame about 4 ft tall, with the slats spaced a slat-width apart.  Then I used a brace to hold the frame at an angle as close to the tree as possible.  This "50% shade" has worked well.

Jim