[NAFEX] non-blooming whip

derry&bill wchase at interchange.ubc.ca
Tue Mar 27 22:38:18 EDT 2007

Tom,

I don't think so.

When I'm choosing scionwood, I avoid water shoots.

I also avoid new wood growing downwards, and laterally.

I try to find new wood growing at a 45-60° angle.

I think water sprouts have too much auxin and this discourages fruit
buds at least for a few years.

If I were you I'd bend the branches of your non-flowering fruit tree
perhaps to a 45° angle. This should slow down the sap and encourage
flower buds to form.

Also make sure something else is not happening e.g. frost kill of buds,
birds/bugs eating the flower buds, brief bloomtime and you didn't notice it.

You don't say how long ago you grafted the tree and what do you mean by
a dwarf apple from a cow pasture? The seedling apple tree was a wimp?

If it was when you were new to grafting, maybe it was a pear seedling
r/s, not an apple seedling r/s.

Derry