[NAFEX] mulberries

Lucky Pittman lucky.pittman at murraystate.edu
Wed Mar 21 14:27:15 EDT 2007

At 12:20 PM 3/21/2007, you wrote:
>I'm surprised Raintree nursery promotes it the way they do.

It's not bad - other than the fact that it's an M.alba, which is on
many folks' 'unwanted, invasive alien' list.  But, there are other
cultivars that far surpass it in productivity and fruit quality.
If you've got little kids, they make really neat 'playhouses'.

Gordon Nofs once told me about budding several pieces of weeping
mulberry about 4-5 ft up a vigorous seedling stem, with a piece of
Illinois Everbearing grafted on top to produce a good fruiting
mulberry with a 'hula skirt'.  I keep meaning to 'build' one of my
own, but haven't yet gotten around to doing it.

LLP