[NAFEX] Northern Spy

Thomas Olenio tolenio at sentex.net
Tue Mar 13 13:40:08 EDT 2007

Hello,

I normally winter prune in mid March (spring break).  There are a couple of
standard trees (circa 1918) and I let my teenage sons climb/prune those, and
school spring break is the perfect time for that.  (I value my old bones.
Ha, ha)

This particular Northern Spy is a root seedling that came up about 15' away
from the standard sized mother tree (planted circa 1918) which is now dead
and gone 10 years.  During the 04-05 winter a mouse girdled the young tree,
leaving only three, one inch strips of intact bark.  It has recovered
admirably but puts on a slew of water sprouts each season, some as big as
your thumb at the base.

I imagine this tree has access to the old trees root system and that must be
very large.  It would need huge energy reserves to put up such large water
sprouts.

I did bring the top back by about 1/3rd when we realized mice had girdled
it.  This was done through major limb removal, not minor pruning.

I am pruning to keep it low while also keeping it out of way of tractors,
combines and implements that pass by it.  It is a standard tree and I have
to keep a leash on it.  It is about 10-12' tall now, bearing fruit, and I
only encourage laterals at the top.

Later,

Tom

  _____