[NAFEX] Zone 5 figs and Stark

William C. Garthright billg at inebraska.com
Sat Mar 10 12:30:40 EST 2007

I bought several dwarf fruit trees from Stark Bro's - among other
nurseries - last spring, which was my first experience with planting...
pretty much anything. They were the last to arrive - much later than I
expected - and I was very disappointed at the shipping, especially
compared to the other nurseries. The trees were good-sized, but had been
jammed into boxes with much splintering of limbs. There were a few small
clumps of damp newspaper in the MIDDLE of the boxes, but not at the
roots, which were bone dry.

I was pretty disgusted, and I sent them an email about it. But they told
me not to worry about the dry roots, because they'd used some sort of
special treatment on them. And every tree ended up growing just great.
So I can't say I've really got any complaints, after all.

The only (minor) problem I've got is that I finally realized they use
different common names for many of their varieties, so I'm never
entirely sure what I'm getting. I've come close to buying the same
variety twice, because Stark Bro's doesn't use the same name as everyone
else. Well, I'm so new at all of this that it's surprising I haven't
really had any big problems at all ... so far. :-)

Bill

--
Sometimes I lie awake at night, and I ask, "Where have I gone wrong?"
Then a voice says to me, "This is going to take more than one night." -