[NAFEX] splicing tape

K Q kumquat at operamail.com
Thu Mar 8 13:58:52 EST 2007

Thanks for the reminder about stretching the tape Tanis. I forgot to say anything about it, but habitually do it. Did around 500 grafts in 2005 using this tape.

Everyone should try this tape. Does Parafilm actually stick to itself? This tape that Tanis and I (and others) use sticks very well to itself, I think it is called self-vulcanizing or some such word. You can stop in the middle of wrapping a graft and it does not unwind on you like a rubber band would. Everything stays put. Think - one very sticky rubber band. Just lovely!

This tape breaks down rapidly in full summer sun. Sometimes as early as a week. If you want it to last the full season, just wrap a little foil (gum wrapper etc) around the tape to block destructive UV rays. I like the fact that it wants to rot so easily!

All who use this technique please thank Tanis. I would not have known squat about this but she is the one who first posted it several years ago.

Kenneth Q.