[NAFEX] Are interstocks on pecans common?

athagan at atlantic.net athagan at atlantic.net
Sun Mar 4 21:45:18 EST 2007

I planted three pecans today - Curtis, Elliott, and Moreland - and
noticed that all three seem to have an intermediary graft between the
rootstock and the topgraft.  Is this common?  What would be the
reason for doing this?  It seems like it would complicate the
operation and increase the chances of failure so I presume there must
be some good reason for it.

.....Alan.