[NAFEX] Blackberry trellising and mulching

Jim Fruth jfruth at tds.net
Fri Jun 29 09:24:50 EDT 2007

Mark,
    Trellising blackberries really facilitates picking.  I use twine so, at
the end of the season, I clip each old cane and clip the twine and toss the
whole works on the burn pile.
    When I first start picking, I make windrows of the primocanes, laying
them down so I can get at the berries unhampered (by primocanes in the way).
Then I step over each windrow and all the fruit is exposed, easy to pick.
Occasionally a stem will resist being laid over and will break off but I'd
rather have a few broken canes than to be constantly moving upright
primocanes out of the way so I can pick.

    Mulching:  I mulch everything, including the garden veggies and aisles
(and all have T-tape drip irrigation.  I like to make the mulch 4" to 6"
thick so the are never any weeds to pull.

Jim Fruth
Brambleberry Farm
Pequot Lakes, MN  56472
For jams, jellies & syrups:
www.bberryfarm.com
(218)568-8483 [Store]
(218)831-7018 [My Cell]

Thanks for the advice Jim and Michael.  Three feet seemed a little short to
me too.  I think I read pruning is to keep them from blowing over.  We do
get some pretty good winds here in Kansas, and I only trellised the Triple
Crown, but I like the idea of not having to stoop to pick.  After the plants
get some maturity (producing thicker and more canes) I'd like to try just
letting them grow.

On a related issue, do you all recommend mulching the plants?  Will the new
canes push up through the mulch?

Mark