[NAFEX] deer

road's end farm organic101 at linkny.com
Fri Jun 22 08:37:12 EDT 2007

On Jun 22, 2007, at 7:49 AM, jerry sietsema wrote:

> Just wondering if fish emulsions like Neptunes Harvest keep deer
> away.               skip s zone
> 5_______________________________________________

They don't seem to like the taste, so if it's actually all over the
plant, they'll go eat something else; presuming there is something else
for them to eat. If they're hungry enough, it probably won't work.

You also need to reapply occasionally, especially if it's rained.

Is Neptune's Harvest supposedly "descented"? if so, I don't know if it
would work as well. I use Saltwater Farms; primarily for a nutrient
boost on new transplants, but it does help keep the deer off a while. I
sometimes also use blood meal for a repellent, scattered lightly either
over the plants or around the edges of the field (small field
sections); again, this works best when they have plenty of other stuff
to eat.

People don't like the taste either; so you don't want to put either of
these directly on the plants to be harvested if the crop is anywhere
near ready.

--Rivka
Finger Lakes NY; zone 5 mostly