[NAFEX] pumping water

Lucky.Pittman at murraystate.edu Lucky.Pittman at murraystate.edu
Sun Jun 17 22:41:37 EDT 2007

------- Original Message -------
>From    : Donna &/or Kieran[mailto:holycow at cookeville.com]
    We are looking into something affordable that will pump 140 ft of
vertical head from the creek.  Looks a like Shurflo 12V pump might do it.
We have one, but not a strong enough model to pump all the way to the top.
Everyone says we'd do best to step it anyway.   Any advice would be
appreciated.

Donna,
I think you're probably gonna need a gasoline-powered water or semi-trash pump, probably with a 4-hp or larger
engine, to pump water that high.  Even then, you may have to step it - I did see one Honda pump that had a 141 ft
head rating, but most are rated at less than 100 ft.

I've got one that I paid $100 for, that I use mainly to prime my gravity flow water system for the cows every
spring; 1.5" fittings, if I recall correctly.  There's a guy here in town who buys used pumps like this one that
have been used to pump out flooded homes/basements, etc. - I don't know where/how he finds 'em, but he'll have a
dozen or so on hand at any given time - he checks 'em out, makes sure they're running correctly, or combines parts
from two or more pumps to make one good one, etc.   When I bought this last one(I'd bought a $60 one 10-12 years
ago), he said the Amish buy them as fast as he can get 'em ready to go.

Lucky