[NAFEX] Acidic Oak Leaves?

John Barbowski jbarbowski at gmail.com
Fri Jun 15 12:40:01 EDT 2007

What about spruce needles? Most of the discussion has surrounded pine
needles, and now oak leaves. I agree that most decaying matter has little
impact on soil pH. But I have copious quantities of moss growing around my
spruce trees - even where the soil is so dry, cracks form (ie, minimal
moisture accumulation). Is the moss growth more a reflection of my high clay
content?

Another interesting observation, areas that have high moss content seem to
be perfect for invasive creeping weeds - spent many hours pulling (I don't
like chemicals). Could this be from the pH of the moss micro-environment, or
the mosture contained within the moss that allows the seeds to germinate?

jmb