[NAFEX] Garlic questions

road's end farm organic101 at linkny.com
Tue Jun 12 08:48:48 EDT 2007

On Jun 12, 2007, at 4:47 AM, Rick Hurd wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have planted garlic, and want to multiply it as much as possible so
> that I can replant it next year. Should I remove the flower pods
> before it blooms? When is the best time to harvest it?
>
> I live in NE Missouri, USA.

Harvest bulbs when about half the leaves have mostly died back and
about half the leaves are still green.

Snap the scapes (flower stalks) off while they are still tender enough
to snap or pull instead of cut. Then eat them (or bunch and sell them,
if you have lots.) Chop up and use the whole stem portion of the scape
in any recipe using garlic. The portion where the flower would be will
be too tough to use in most recipes. The curled section with the tip
still attached can also be used for edible garnish. They will keep for
a couple of weeks or more in the refrigerator.

When did you plant? I don't know for sure about Missouri; but in most
of the USA, garlic is fall planted: in most of NY state, planted
ideally in mid-October, harvest the next July. It's day length
dependent, and will start to bulb up in late June, however big the tops
are; if it hasn't had time to grow much, the bulbs will be small.

--Rivka
Finger Lakes NY; zone 5 mostly