[NAFEX] Cherry Tree Lunacy

Stephen Sadler Docshiva at Docshiva.org
Mon Jun 11 15:28:36 EDT 2007

I've never had a problem with Robins.  Much of control methods depends on
which birds are in question.  I've used suet feeders to attract bug-eating
birds, and seed and fruit feeders to distract troublesome birds, or attract
ones I want around.  I net any red berries, but I liked the suggestion of
using berry beads before the crop ripens to communicate inedibility to the
local birds.

~ Stephen

-----Original Message-----
From: nafex-bounces at lists.ibiblio.org
[mailto:nafex-bounces at lists.ibiblio.org] On Behalf Of William C. Garthright
Sent: Monday, June 11, 2007 5:17 AM
To: North American Fruit Explorers
Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Cherry Tree Lunacy

> No cats to patrol the berries?  I've used Mylar scare-tape in trees, along
with a seed feeder nearby with good results for birds - also always have
some bright red non-crop berries growing.

Cats would be worse pests than the birds, I'd think, and I don't like
them running loose in town. Robins don't eat seeds, so a feeder doesn't
help there, and I haven't noticed much problem with seed-eating species
on my fruit. (Although, come to think of it, it was cardinals that
cleaned out my few grapes last year, so maybe I should fill up my
feeders again, after all.)

None of the scare-tape kind of stuff (homemade versions) have worked for
me, but that might be partly because robins are so tame. It didn't work
on the cardinals last year, either. But perhaps it keeps away more wary
birds? I suppose it couldn't hurt to put it up again, just in case.
Non-crop berries? I'm planting nothing I can't eat, but if everything
starts producing, I'll probably have more than the critters and I can
eat, together!

Yes, that squirrel spray sounds interesting. None of my squirrels can
really be hungry (I feed them peanuts to keep them full, though it
hasn't kept them out of the strawberries), so you wouldn't think it
would take much to discourage them.

Bill
Lincoln, NE (zone 5)