[NAFEX] Fertilizer deficiency

Jim Fruth jfruth at tds.net
Thu Jun 7 09:07:12 EDT 2007

Donna wrote:  "This turned out to be a boron deficiency.  We'd upped the pH
and the organic matter, a recipe for boron deficiency, and we have clay
soil.  I'd say southern clays were notorious for boron deficiency except
that no one seems to be talking about it.  This problem with southern clays
has been recognized for many years, Louis Bromfield talks about it in a book
written in the 50's, but my leaf samples only puzzled the local co agent."

Donna,
    When you see sick looking leaves and wonder what is causing it, collect
a baggie full of leaves and send them to K Ag Laboratories, 2323 Jackson
Street, Oshkosh, Wisconsin   54901, for a plant tissue analysis.
    Boron deficiency may not always be the culprit.  I had crumpled up
leaves on my blackberries and K Ag's analysis came back indicating a copper
deficiency.  So I spread copper sulfate at the rate K Ag recommended and the
problem disappeared.  K Ag does all of my soil tests and plant tissue
analysis; I wish I owned stock in the company.  For all of the fertility
problem that are mentioned on this blog, we NAFEXers ought to be keeping K
Ag busy.

Jim Fruth
Brambleberry Farm
Pequot Lakes, MN  56472