[NAFEX] chemical thinning question

Ed Fackler ed.fackler at gmail.com
Thu Jun 7 08:09:40 EDT 2007

Steve:

     The 1st sign of success is by cutting apples in 1/2 or through the
newly developing seed cavity (which in years of good pollination they should
be full) and if seeds are beginning to shrink, you've got some activity from
the thinning agent.  In roughly 10-12 days thereafter stems will begin to
yellow near the spur downward toward the fruit.

     I should tell you that in years of good pollination (4-6 hrs of sun
with lots of bee activity will do it anytime during the bloom period)
waiting until apples are 10mm is too late to do the desired amount of
thinning.  Or one should apply thinners at 4-6 days post petal fall or when
apples approach 6 mm.

     Hope this helps.

Ed, S. Indiana....near heaven...doing okay-fine.