[NAFEX] Deficiency symptoms

Donna &/or Kieran holycow at cookeville.com
Wed Jun 6 23:52:21 EDT 2007

Yes, I had the stunted curled leaves on several seedling rootstocks, and was convinced it was a virus.  Mind you, how seedling apples would get a virus was a puzzle....   Then there was the "virus" distorting the leaves on our tomato plants, not all of them, but here and there and one variety in particular for 3 years running.  This turned out to be a boron deficiency.  We'd upped the pH and the organic matter, a recipe for boron deficiency, and we have clay soil.  I'd say southern clays were notorious for boron deficiency except that no one seems to be talking about it.  This problem with southern clays has been recognized for many years, Louis Bromfield talks about it in a book written in the 50's, but my leaf samples only puzzled the local co agent.
    From the site Dennis linked to:  http://www.hbci.com/~wenonah/min-def/apple.htm  I'd guess we are a bit short of zinc too, something I've wondered about.        Donna