[NAFEX] nafex Digest, Vol 48, Issue 72

Lon J. Rombough lonrom at hevanet.com
Mon Jan 29 18:00:50 EST 2007

Hazelnuts (Corylus) will sucker and sprout back from cut stumps without
spreading out and they are a traditional coppice species used for
firewood, poles, etc.   The exception is the Turkish Tree Hazel which
is a non-suckering species.  The late Cecil Farris in Michigan bred
some good quality varieties that were resistant to eastern filbert
blight, and it would be worthwhile to look into them.  Remember that
for nut production you need two different clones that are pollination
compatible.  Try searching for Cecil Farris's hazlenuts.
=Lon Rombough
"Best Talent in Writing" award for 2003.
For growing supplies and more;  http://www.grapegrowersolutions.com