[NAFEX] nafex Digest, Vol 48, Issue 72

ethan roland eroland at gmail.com
Mon Jan 29 17:50:00 EST 2007

Rivka -

Thanks for your note! I appreciate you concern for my young forest garden
and my  ecological neighbours. I truly do not feel this is an appropriate
forum to dive into the invasives/natives discussion, but I would like to
clarify for folks that all the species I asked about are 'native' to North
America, and only one (Glyccyrhiza lepidota, American licorice) is not
specifically 'native' to the Eastern Forests - instead, it hails from the
great midwestern prairies.

The running/suckering characteristic is one I am especially interested in
for this specific forest garden design -- I am looking at low-maintenance,
ecosystemically-based methods for establishing highly productive fruit + nut
trees (persimmon, pawpaw, chestnut, hickory) to supply my family with local,
fossil-fuel-free foods.

If anyone has other suggestions for more 'native' species that can fill the
ecological community niche I'm looking for (woody, running/suckering,
nitrogen-fixing, fuel-making, food-producing, medicinal, small shrubs or
herbaceous perennials), please let me know. I am indeed in a very
experimental phase here, and I welcome input + discussion about this little
forest garden design.

Cheers,
Ethan

P.S. To tie in with the plum discussion, I found a good selection of A.
stolonifera over at Oikos Tree Crops.
P.P.S. For a great and mind-opening re-introduction to the native/invasive
discussion, take a look at Dave Jacke + Eric Toensmeier's Edible Forest
Gardens vol. 1 (www.edibleforestgardens.com) Let me know if you have any
questions!

Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2007 09:57:42 -0500
From: road's end farm <organic101 at linkny.com>

--
Ethan C. Roland
(518) 610-1375

AppleSeed Permaculture
Design - Teach - Advise
www.appleseedpermaculture.com

Northeastern Permaculture Wiki
www.northeasternpermaculture.wikispaces.com

8th International Permaculture Conference, Brazil, 2007
www.ipc8.org

" You can count the number of seeds in an apple, but you can't count the
number of apples in a seed" - proverb via Paul Krafel