[NAFEX] Testing patented stock; thanking fruit breeders

Richard Moyer ramoyer at gmail.com
Mon Jan 29 13:58:36 EST 2007

Thanks, Del, for your note below about complementing fruit breeders.  At our
NAFEX meeting last summer; I had the chance to thank John Clark for breeding
and releasing "Westbrook", an extra-early nectarine for home and local fresh
markets.  The ripe fruit seldom makes it into our house.  Learned about
its new release through an SFF meeting at Clark's Univ Ark research farm a
few years ago.  To my surprise, he said I'm the first grower who's given him
any feedback.  It's a melting type, so we talked about the challenge of
brown rot prevention.

Most all of us value it when our labor of love is appreciated by another.
One way to encourage continual release of varieties that only have niche
appeal is to thank their developers any chance we get.

Richard Moyer
Cold east TN; having Korean Giant asian pears with lunch

Message: 4