[NAFEX] What's (problematically) compatible with pear?

Hans Brinkmann hans-brinkmann at t-online.de
Mon Jan 15 18:43:42 EST 2007

Hallo,
The compatibility  can be very complicated:
E.g. in Northern Germany Prunus root stock "Colt" is doing well for
Cherries,
but in most other parts of Germany it isn't very positive.

Many Pears are possible on Quince root stock, but some Pears are only
possible with a second compatible Pear in between.

Peach "Hales Early"  does not grow on  "Myrobalan B" root stock.
The Plum root stock "Brompton" is growing well with "Hales Early" and
also with "Myrobalan B".
But "Myrobalan B" root stock and then "Brompton" and finally "Hales
Early" is impossible.

Only the Japanese Plum "Beauty" is possible with Almond. Most other
Japanese Plums are not possible.

Most Peaches are possible on Plum "Marianne" root stock. But opposite
direction is impossible.

Usually Japanese Plums do well on European Plums, but not in the other
direction.

In Germany Sorbus domestica grafting is not a big deal, but in America
it seems to be much less successful.

A very known book in EU is stating, some Carya are possible on Juglans
nigra root stock, but unfortunately this may be wrong.(???)

Let me add finally, that the mentioned walnut orchards in California
with the peculiar looking trees,
(the bottom portion of the bole is a smaller diameter than the upper
one) are producing exactly with this portion
a high priced  wood which is appreciated very much.

ciao
Hans                                     Germany;   Cold zone 6