[NAFEX] Sorbus

Hans Brinkmann hans-brinkmann at t-online.de
Mon Jan 15 17:52:32 EST 2007

Hallo Hector,

An English collector proposed also Pyrus calleryana in general as a very
strong and resistant root stock (for other pears e.g.).
Let me ask him again, because I do not have any experience...
I hope some other NAFEX members will tell you some American experience.
I graft on Sorbus aucuparia.
Again let me mention Sorbus domestica. It should be more resistant in
warmer temperatures - in general.
Anyhow, America is very different from Europe.
In Germany some S. domestica are much more than 200 years old and some
domestica are more than 30m heigh!!!
I think this is only possible with a quite resistant tree.
Don't you have a chance to get some scions from  Plant Repository at
Corvallis directly? I think they may help you.
Anyhow in future, I will send some Sorbus domestica and other scions
legally to the USA to one institution.
If you can not succeed before, I may help you together with that export.
But it takes time.

Ciao
Hans